Thursday, July 21, 2011

Old and alone

I had a moment today as I was working on a project and I am going to let my mind vent.  Let me preface this post with this thought: This thought is totally my own, it is not a passive-aggressive blast at anyone, just my own mind working things out.

I want to live my life in such a way so when I am older, I will have people who love me.  I want people to love me enough to hang out with me and spend time with me.  Even when I am old and breaking down, I want to have lived a kind of life and raised the type of children that can't wait to come visit me.  That want me to spend time with their kids and their kids' kids.  I want to show love and concern now and throughout the next few decades so that when I get to the old and breaking down point,  I will have surrounded myself with people who truly love me. 

Is there a magic formula for growing old with grace and surrounded by loving family?  I don't know, I'm only in my 30's.  I know that any kind of peaceful life needs to start with Christ.  I also know that I need to be a good listener and a good friend to have good friends who will listen to my nonsense.  I know that  I need to be the best parent to my children and a good grandparent to my future grandkids.  I need to make myself available to my family and make efforts to keep in touch with those who are important to me.

What about you?  Do you know an older person who is alone alot?  How do you nurture your special relationships?  Do you want to be alone when you are old or surrounded by family?

2 comments:

  1. To reply in reverse: I love the fact that my grandparents are such a huge part of my life. I have been so blessed to have grandparents that live very close and I get to see both sides almost weekly. We do everything together from shopping and sewing to going to performances to sitting on the couch and watching TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Rachel! I agree, I am very blessed to have both my grandmothers alive and I love doing things with them when I can.

    ReplyDelete