Wednesday, November 23, 2011

I am slightly offended

For those who know me, I do not get offended easily.  I get angry easily and defensive, but not usually offended.  I saw something today that got me thinking so I facebooked it and it evoked some comments and I figured I'd blog about it.

I went to a Wells Fargo bank this morning and there was this sign in the parking lot:

LOW EMISSIONS VEHICLE PARKING ONLY

I am slightly offended.  I realize low emission vehicles are a great thing and I am all for them but I simply cannot afford one and they do not make one in a "family size".  Or at least, my family size.  I have owned my van (see previous blogs for details) for over 6 years and God and my wonderful mechanic have kept it running and on the road.  I simply cannot afford a new car right now.  Even if I did get a new one, it wouldn't be one of the new low emissions vehicles because, again, they don't come in 8 passenger.  And if, by my lack of education in the matter, they do come in 8 passenger models, I can't afford them.  So now what?  That means at the bank I have to walk 10-15 extra steps to the front door because the spots that border the building are reserved for low emissions vehicles. That is just dumb.  I'm sorry but it is.  Is that supposed to be incentive for me to get a loan from said bank to buy a vehicle so I can park 10 feet closer to your building?  Um, no.  I am not going into more debt so I can park closer to your building.  A friend of mine says they have those parking spots reserved at her local library.  Really?  Shouldn't those spots be saved for people with children so the kids don't have to run across the road in the rain?  Or for older patrons so they don't have to walk as far?  No, they are for the young wealthy people who can afford a nicer car. I am not against young and wealthy and I am not against those of you who are better with your money than I am, I just don't think you deserve or should get a better parking spot because of it.
  Another friend of mine said those signs aren't law so she doesn't have to honor them.  I did honor it but only because I knew if I backed into the spot (which I have to do since I can't really back out of parking spots well in the 15 passenger) and I hit the sign with my less than low emissions vehicle, they would probably make me buy another one.  And since gas costs a fortune these days, I really can't afford to replace the sign. 
  So what do you think? Do you think businesses can really put up a sign that reserves spots for certain kinds of cars?  What would be next?  Should we all stand outside the Wells Fargo and protest? I am all for it if it's not raining. If it is, we can just sit in my running van and wave our signs out the windows.

1 comment:

  1. As another family that cannot afford the new low emission vehicles, I would also be offended. And I totally understand about not having them in a "Large Family Size." I also haven't found one in a 15 passenger van.

    But it is Wells Fargo Bank, and they have never been known for their customer kindness. I say all of the local large sized families should protest. Just line up our 8, 12 and 15 passenger vehicles and fill up those spots!

    ReplyDelete