Monday, March 28, 2011

Alas fair youth, I knew you well...

Well folks, I am officially a grown up.  No longer can I pretend I am young and fresh.  I always wondered what I would feel like when It actually happened.  What happened you ask?  I found a gray hair.  (I'll calmly sit and let you all pat me on the back and tell me it's okay while the song I'll Be There plays in the background)  I did always wonder how I would react when I finally found one.  Well, I had a freakout moment.  I couldn't believe my eyes and I plucked it out and ran downstairs to show my husband who had very little pity.  He assured me it wasn't a gray hair but I'm not buying it.  I plucked a regular hair and you could clearly see the difference not only in color but in thickness.  My gray hair is going to be thick!  The next day I obsessively combed through my hair and found 2 more.  I plucked one and left the other in as proof for all thouse doubters out there (cough cough Spouse).
  I know the Bible talks about gray hair being a crown of wisdom or something but I am not wise enough to pull that off just yet.  I am going to pick my battles but I am going to fight the Age Battle.  I'm going to start by carefully picking the color I am going to start dyeing my hair.  I'm currently a very subtle red and I like it but it's not a permanent dye.  I may try a few more non-permanent colors before I make my decision.  Suggestions are welcome.
  I will be fighting aging but not in a weird way.  I don't want to be one of those 40somethings with too much make up, a mini skirt, platform sandals, and too much jewelry.  I don't want to compete with my teenagers.  As my friend says, "Teenagers win every time" and it is so true.  There are limits to the Age Battle.  I want to look my age but in a beautiful way.  I don't want to be in my mid 30's with gray hair, I'm just not ready. 
  I recently tried buying an over the counter "wrinkle reducer" by a reputable company.  I went on their website and they happily told me that if I just bought these 15 daily use products my face would look glowy and youthful.  I bought the 3 basics and figured I would give it a try.  Wellllll, it took the top layer of my skin off and left me feeling like a dragon and looking sunburned for several days.  I gave that battle up after less than a week! 
  What makes me feel the most young is that I feel young.  Inside, I feel happy and bubbly and silly and it just flows out of me.  My husband is infatuated with me and who wouldn't want to see that look coming at ya every chance you could?  Seeing the look in his eyes makes me feel like a teenager all over again.  When I'm at college, people look surprised when I say I have 6 kids and my oldest is 15; they think I'm only 20.  I like looking young but not at the expense of my health.  I'll start with dyeing my hair and see where that takes me : )
  I know several women who aren't fighting the battle at all and more power to them.  I also know some people who are fighting to the death.  How about you?  What "age" moment caught you off guard?  What are you doing to fight, if anything?  What hair color should I start with?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, girl - you are SO lucky to have just one gray hair. I have a colony of them living front and center!

    Of course your college peers are surprised at the number and ages of your kids - you look fantastic!! :)

    Jason and I see ourselves as so much younger than we are - we realized that this weekend! I hope I always see him as that baby-faced college boy I fell in love with.

    Loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment and compliments "Short Stop" (cute name by the way). We see ourselves as young as well, they do say that 30 is the new 20!

    ReplyDelete