Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Torn...Decision making time

Ever had a decision you had to make and didn't want to?  You could see both sides and didn't really like either one?  I am in that place today so ya'll get to see how my mind works in decision making time.
  For 3 years I was a girl scout leader in my area.  I loved it!  The girls were so creative and sweet and we did lots of activities.  Then I started going to college part time and felt that I needed to step down but there was nobody to take my place.  So,  I kept leading but didn't do as good of a job because I was too busy.  I started asking other people to take my place, other moms in my troops or other leaders in the area.  I found one lady who would take the brownies but sadly, she died in a car accident.  Another lady took my cadettes but nobody else stepped up.  I had to step down because I was going to be schooling full time in the fall and I knew I wouldn't be any good to the girls. 
  During one of the final leaders meetings, the head lady asked if anyone would be a delegate for our council to go to the thrice yearly meetings in the city and report back to our council.  Nobody stepped up.  Shocker!  Anyway, I felt guilty that I was stepping down and leaving a gap and that nobody else was stepping up so I raised my hand.  Sigh.  I have a hard time saying no sometimes. 
  Well, that was a stupid decision on my part and now I am stuck.  The 2nd meeting is tonight and I don't want to go.  I already had to bail on the first meeting because it was during an exceptionally busy time and now I am faced with The Decision.  I do not want to be a delegate.  There, I said it!  I am not involved with girl scouts at all; I have no idea what is going on!  I am no help to our council and I will most likely not pay attention even if I do go to this meeting.  My husband was a little pissed that I was even a delegate, apparently I had forgotten to mention it to him.  He says I should back out of the whole position but I feel bad about it.  I already told one lady I would carpool with her and I hate to back out the day of the meeting.  Sigh.  Decision making time.  Should I honor my husband and back out?  Or should I follow thru with my obligation and go to the meeting?  I am torn.
  I think I know what I am going to do, but I want to think on it a little more.
Have you ever had a tough decision to make?  One that was in a gray area, you know, something not cut and dried, not black and white?  Tell me about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment