Friday, February 11, 2011

Ahhh, childhood color-blindness

My 9 year old is having her birthday party as I write this.  She invited a bunch of her friends from school over to watch a movie and eat a ton of junk food.  I am just loving watching them interact!  There's the quiet one, the bossy one, the scared one (poor dog is locked downstairs), the shy one, the comfy in any situation one, and more.  Each one is different and unique and they are all getting along.  What I am enjoying most is the ethnic diversity and the fact that nobody cares!  There are white girls, bi-racial girls, and black girls.  They don't care about their skin tone right now, they only care about pizza and movies.  They all get excited when another friend arrives and they bunch up on the couch to make room for the newcomer. 
   Why can't we stay like children forever, at least in our color blindness?  Why do we grow up to care?  Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you! I always had a hard time teaching about Martin Luther King Jr. with kindergartners because they didn't understand why anyone would care about skin color. One kid told me, "Mrs. Fortney, that's just dumb." I would have to agree with him.

    ReplyDelete