Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Illegal Immigrants (oh yes I did)

Today's post is going to be a little touchy.  I am not going to necessarily post my opinion but I would like to hear yours.  Today I went to Annapolis to represent my community college for Student Advocacy Day.  We got to meet several delegates and senators and hear their viewpoints on several different topics.  We mostly discussed funding for community colleges but, which I found interesting, some delegates/senators brought up illegal immigration without us asking.  Apparently (I live in a hole I guess) there is a debate going on about whether illegal children who grow up in the American public school system should be given state or federal grants to go to college.  These are children who were not born in America, their parents are here illegally therefore putting their children in an interesting position.  They have been raised here in the US, gone to US public schools, some have been given special care so they could learn English, they have hung out with their friends, and are now faced with the decision to go to college.   Legal students fill out a FAFSA to see if they qualify for grants but because illegals do not have a social security number or visa/green card number, they do not necessarily qualify.  My question is, "Should they be given the same opportunity for grants as legals?"  Here were the 2 main viewpoints of the politicians today.

Yes
These children have grown up in the public school system, how could we possibly let them down?  They have done nothing wrong, it is their parent's "sin" why should they be punished? 

No
These children are here illegally and should not be given any money that should rightfully be given to American children.  Our money should be supporting our own kids. 

Here are a couple of points that came out in discussion today:
*  More money is spent on these kids in the public school system because they need translators and special English language lessons.  This money could be better spent elsewhere.
*  Who is to say that if we pay for them to have a college education they are going to be able to work here in the US to "pay back" to society?
*  If they are here illegally then even if they graduate from college they cannot work here legally.

Now, the subject of illegal immigration has been going on for decades, but this is a new spin on it.  Please do not spout off on immigration, I want to hear about putting these children through college.  I had never thought about illegal immigrants having children and how those kids could be affected by a decision made  by their parents.  Keep in mind that alot of these kids have been here for years and may be freinds with your own kids.  They may not know another life except one here in the US.
And don't worry, most of my blogs will not be politically oriented.  My trip to Annapolis has given me food for thought : )

3 comments:

  1. since I've come to know and care about a few of these kids in the last year or so, I'm not only for their in-state tuition rates, I'm hoping something akin to the (now defunct) Dream Act comes into our nation's immigration law. When you've been here as long as you can remember, have been successful enough in school to be ACCEPTED into college, and fully plan (hope? barring deportation?) to spend the rest of your life in this country, it seems like you're doing just what my own great-grandparents did before we got so closed in our immigration policy.

    And we have an aging population, fears of Social Security caving in before you and I even get old enough for it... could not these kids be part of the solution?

    Mostly I just can't imagine leaving open the possibility of sending these kids "back" to a country they don't even remember. They're more "foreign" there, than here. And U.S. backing of genocide in Central and South American countries (for the sake of economic stability of our interests there) in the not-so-distant past is part of the reason those countries are in such disarray that their citizens are willing to risk their lives to come here for a shot at minimum wage jobs.

    So there. :) (I was not nearly this opinionated on the matter until I joined our church's Hispanic ministry, and NOW look?)

    p.s. you need a "Name/URL" option under "Comment As" so other bloggers can include what sites they're from when they comment. Please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Kim! I fixed the name/url option, thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete