Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Homeschooling: myths vs facts

Homeschooling is quickly becoming more popular here in the US and is not always viewed in a positive light.  Crime shows like to show homeschoolers as loners who abuse their kids and lock them away from society.  In a church, you are viewed as the most patient, wonderful mom in the world who loves Jesus more than others and wears long dresses and bakes your own bread.  You have slews of calm, loving children who love to sit and learn and help knead your bread.  Your babies happily sit on your lap and watch with wondrous rapture as you teach your children lessons about science and history.  The reality is usually the opposite.

Myth 1: Homeschooling moms are patient
Fact:  "You must be so patient." I got that comment so often, even my kids got frustrated with it.  I am the least patient person in the world and my kids are the first ones to tell people.   I don't like waiting for anything and I am not always nice about it.  You don't have to be patient to homeschool, you just have to have dedication and drive.  The Lord was pretty clear about my time to homeschool and He gave me the drive.  I loved teaching my kids, but it was not patience that got me through each day, it was His grace.

Myth 2: Homeschooling moms wear long dresses and bake their own bread.
Fact: I don't think so, not even close.  I mean, there might be some women out there who wear long dresses and bake their own bread, but it is not because they homeschool.  I wear jeans that are too long and Converse tennis shoes.  I figure I'm on the average coolness factor when it comes to appearance.  I'm not out to be a teen again, but I am not in the "wiser, older woman" group either.  My bread comes from the grocery story unless it is a poor week, then I may make bread, but it is never nearly as good as the store bought fluffy yumminess.  In fact, I don't know any homeschooling moms who fit that appearance, most are like me, comfy clothes, normal hair, store bought bread...

Myth 3: Homeschool kids are always nicely dressed and calm
Fact: I know about 50 families who homeschool, maybe more.  That's about 200-300 homeschool kids, depending on the size of the family.  I have NEVER met a calm, always nicely dressed homeschool kid.  Most have their pockets full of little toys that they like to take out and play with during the school day.  Their hair sticks up, they ask annoying questions,  they need constant bathroom breaks, they get punished for bad behavior, I could go on.  Homeschooled kids are just like every other kid, except where they learn.  They wear hand me downs like everybody else and comb their hair as often as a school kid.  They are about as calm as a tasmanian devil, unless you luck out with one of those nice ones : )

Myth 4: Homeschool kids are smarter than public school kids
Fact:  I'll grant you that homeschool kids have the potential to get ahead because of the one-on-one attention from a parent, but that doesn't make them smarter.  My 4 year old is on a first grade level in school because I have the time to sit and work with her.  In all other aspects, she is just like any other 4 year old.  My friend's kids are always a little behind until about second grade, then they zoom ahead of the other kids.  There are some great curriculums out there that will teach your children many things, but like most public school kids, most homeschooled kids are average learners.  They may get a broader education because alot of moms use a curriculum that reaches many ages at the same time.  I have yet to meet a homeschooled genius.

Myth 5: Homeschooled kids are not socialized.
Fact:  Oh my gosh, if I hear this one more time I am going to scream!!  It is so untrue!!  A child is not socialized because they go to a school.  Period.  I am having trouble writing this one because it is just so frustrating to a homeschool parent to hear this over and over.  I had 5 children in 6 years and for years lived near my friend who had 4 children in 5 years.  Our 9 children got together a couple times a week and played.  My kids were in an art class at the rec center.  We did dance, soccer, baseball, basketball, girl scouts, church activities, co-op, neighborhood playdates, birthday parties, I could go on and on.  And there were a few years when we did nothing because I had no car, but guess what, my kids weren't anti-social.  They had each other and us teaching them how to behave properly.  School settings teach children how to interact with children who are near their age.  Homeschooling gives children the benefit of interacting with many people of different ages.  Grocery store clerks, teachers, coaches, friends' kids, etc.  Having the opportunity to socialize my children in many different areas will give them an advantage later on in life.

This is only 5 of hundreds of homeschooling thoughts, what myths and facts can you add to my list?

5 comments:

  1. I like this ! Can not tell you how many time people say " oh, you must be sooooo patient..blah blah blah" ......"no lady, I'm just given LOTs more opportunities to have it tested and refined. Lol. Have fun blogging, I just reincarnated mine too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog, LaShelle! I hear the socialization question probably more than any of the others. One more myth to add to the list would probably be, "I could never homeschool my kids. It is too difficult, and I don't have a teaching degree or anything." Most moms who are led to homeschool their children have no specialized education to ensure that they will succeed. They just feel that it is the right thing for their children and they do it. I don't think I was much different from other moms when I started my homeschool journey, but I am learning as I go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do your kids think about being homeschooled? Do they like it? Would they prefer a PS or Private school setting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet, the kids liked homeschooling because they knew no differently. When they went to public school, they liked that too. Some have asked to come back home and some enjoy each day of school. I have never tried private school, only public school and we like it just fine.

    ReplyDelete