Monday, January 31, 2011

I love my van!

I love my van.  Let me say it again, I love my van : )  Ya'll are thinking, "That must be some van!  Probably has DVD players and tinted windows and hops up and down on it's back wheels."  Nope, I drive a 1993 Dodge Ram 15 passenger van with a completely rusted hood and a rear door full of "My kid is an honor student" stickers.  The windows aren't tinted, the AC doesn't always work, and the kids are totally embarassed of it.  I love it.  We bought it when I got pregnant with our 6th and we needed something reliable that would fit a ton of carseats.  We have driven all over the place in it and carted around youth groups, Brownie troops, homeschool field trips, and more.  My best friend and I have had all kinds of fun in it.  One time we drove our combined 9 kids to the city to the annual Chocolate Festival.  I parallel parked that sucker perfectly and we walked our kids around and sampled all the free chocolate.
  After my BFF and I each had our 6th babies, we decided to take a road trip to MI to visit family and friends.  We packed our combined 12 kids, including 2 nursing babies, and our husbands and took off.  We had packed food for the trip there and the trip back.  We were delayed leaving because of my husband's work schedule so instead of getting there around dinner time, we got there at 3 in the morning.  My dear Granny took all 16 of us in at 3 in the morning and found sleeping arrangements for everybody.  The baby at 3 months old slept on a couch turned so that it was up against the wall.  I remember getting out at a rest stop to use the bathroom and all 12 kids piling out.  It was hysterical, we just stood there and laughed.
  I drove my entire girl scout troop to camp one year and they screamed out stupid songs and laughed the trip there and back.  What a trip!
  Last year my van broke.  I was so sad!  It sat at the mechanics for a year while we swayed between junking it or fixing it.  I just never had the heart to drive it to the junkyard.  We just got it back on the road and I am ecstatic!!  I wanted to make a video of me driving it around to the song, "You see me rolling, ya hatin, patrollin trying to catch me ridin dirty" and putting it on facebook.  Half the kids were crying with joy at getting it back and some were crying with shame.  I keep telling my 15 year old that she can take her driving test in it but for some reason, she doesn't want to.
  Today I rolled up to the middle school to pick up kid #3 and 2 people who work at the school were standing out front (ya'll know who you are).  The lady starts talking about how great my van is and how she has always wanted to have one to drive around.  I couldn't believe my ears!  Someone else who loves big vans almost as much as I do!  And she only has 1 kid!!  I offered to let her drive it around the parking lot a few times but she declined.  The man says that half my blogs are about my van so I decided to dedicate this day's blog to My Van.
  So, tell me about the car that you can never forget.  The one you named (ours is Big Blue) and tell your kids about.  Maybe it's your current vehicle or your first,  I want to hear your stories!

1 comment:

  1. Six kids? You definitely need that truck! Only, if you love it so much and would probably want it to last long, I suggest you send it to a trusted dealer and have it go through regular check-ups and maintenance. You wouldn’t want your car to act up when you need it the most in taking your kids out for more fun time, would you?

    Patrick Gauer

    ReplyDelete